Visiting Academic - Dr Emanuele Rando

6 Jul 2023

All the good stories start with difficulties, ending with excitement and joy. I am glad to share the fantastic experience I had at UQCCR that has left an indelible mark on my academic journey and personal life. As a visiting observer at such a prestigious University, I had the opportunity to immerse myself in a world of knowledge, high-impact and quality research, whilst forging connections with new colleagues.

I am a third-year Infectious Disease registrar at Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore / Fondazione Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli IRCCS in Rome in Italy. I arrived at UQCCR within the ESCMID Observership Program at the end of April, spending two months in Brisbane. I was keen to learn more about antimicrobials' PK/PD considering the complexity and necessity of delivering high-quality care to patients in my practice. With this view, the opportunity of visiting Professor Roberts' team has been an extraordinary experience.
Initially, being in a completely different environment was particularly challenging to me. Grasping new ideas, working with other professionals and figuring out new concepts was testing. However, thanks to their charming welcome and support, I soon became familiar with all the team, and was able to explore further into the field.

During my time at UQCCR, I delved into conducting systematic reviews. It was a process of meticulous research, analysis, and synthesis aimed at understanding the PK/PD characteristics of certain antibiotics for the treatment of carbapenem-resistant Gram-negative bacteria. With the entire team's help, I acquired valuable skills that will undoubtedly shape my future research endeavours. Bringing back this knowledge to my country and Institution will benefit my team, helping us conduct new systematic reviews and understand good quality research proceedings.

However, it was not just the academic aspect that made this experience exceptional. What made it truly remarkable was the warm and collaborative environment fostered by the talented individuals working there. Everyone I encountered exhibited genuine passion and dedication to their work. Their willingness to share knowledge, exchange ideas, and offer guidance made me feel welcomed and encouraged at every step. The diversity of perspectives and experiences within this academic community inspired me. Engaging in meaningful discussions and collaborative projects with people from various backgrounds enriched my own understanding and broadened my research outlook.

In conclusion, my time as a visiting academic at this Australian university has been nothing short of transformative. It has equipped me with invaluable research skills and introduced me to a network of talented individuals who continue to inspire me. I am immensely grateful for the opportunity to learn, grow, and collaborate with such amazing people. As I carry the cherished memories of this experience forward, I am confident that they will shape the trajectory of my academic pursuits for years to come.